Friday, February 11, 2011

Free-to-play?

There has been a recent uprise in the free-to-play online games. Now while none of them can exactly compete with the likes of fully funded MMO's and the like, they are good for a bit of fun. First of all, the free-to-play online games have a few different genres and types. They are funded through player micro-transactions, for better items, or cosmetic upgrades, or even double-XP. I have spent a lot of time trying out different ones, and I'll post a review on each one in the following weeks. I'll start with Genesis A.D. released by IJJI recently. I'll be sure to drop that either later tonight or tomorrow, links to download are here:
http://www.ijji.com/

Note: you have to install the ijji reactor software, which is more than slightly annoying, but it's worth it for the game. Try it if ya like, but for first impressions, which I will include for the followup games in here, here it is.

I believe this is a pretty worthwhile FPS, paid or free. Special certain powers using different groups. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say a Crysis 2 lookalike. Some different mechanics, but all-in-all, it's a great game to pick up and try. Graphics look pretty smooth, and the servers are fast enough to get by with low ping. I haven't had an issue with lag or choppy framerate yet. It runs with a smooth flow, but is still fast-paced enough to keep you entertained.

1 comment: